Thursday, September 10, 2009

Random Fads

I was thinking through what I've written lately, since I haven't been adding to my manuscript very much, and I found the results interesting. Two nights ago in the shower, I came up with and typed out a comedy bit for a middle-aged male comedian. That night, I wrote an introduction paragraph to a fairytale. The next night in the shower, I came up with a dialogue between two prim 1900's English ladies. What do you call that? Random? Normally, I would say yes, but I'd rather call it diversified now.
Here's why: have you noticed that lately (within the last year or so) it has become extremely popular to be random? Even before this style, it was becoming fashionable to be weird, but now it's mostly just randomness that people like to flaunt. It sort of irks me for shall we say a random reason. Most people aren't! It's so annoying when countless people advertise themselves as random teens, when in reality they hardly fit the bill. Fake! Call me weird (I don't mind since that apparently is still in style as well) but I don't like it that everyone has so readily accepted random weirdness from others and sought to mimic it. Few people are truly random.
For this reason, I think I am no longer going to call myself random or weird. If you know me, than you know why. I don't like following the crowd; I prefer to do the opposite of everyone else. So now, if anyone asks, I am special, versatile, and diversified. Not weird, not random. Just thought I'd let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment