Thursday, September 3, 2009

Peer Pressure... In Church?

We've been talking about peer pressure in Sunday School for the last few weeks - positive, negative, how to deal with it, who and where it comes from, etc. Where does it come from? We all say things like school, work, extracurricular activities. But there's one thing we never mention: church. 
Is it only because I'm not in public school that the majority of my peer pressure comes from Christian friends at church? Odd as it may sound, I think it's much harder to deal with the pressure in church than at school. Take this example: 
A non-Christian friend from school walks up to you and says, "Hey, a bunch of girls are getting together at my house to watch The Notebook. Do you want to come?" This would be my simply given answer: "I'm sorry, but as a Christian, I believe in keeping my mind pure from the images and ideas portrayed in movies like that." Simple! 
Now take that same thing and switch it to a Christian friend at church. She asks if you want to hang out at her house to watch The Notebook. What do you say in response? You are both Christians, so if you say the same thing you said to the girl at school, it's like saying you're more righteous because you have higher standards or you're passing judgment on her for having lower ones. You would come across as a snob, no matter how you said that. Or you can tell her your mom won't let you watch it, and thereby seem like you're hiding behind your mother's skirts. So instead, you have to come up with an excuse like, "I already have plans that night," or "I can't make it." Then you feel like a liar because, while that may be the truth, you have left out the real reason.
That is why I think peer pressure at church is harder to deal with. In the past, people have thought I was a stuck-up snob because we have such tight morals in my family. It wasn't easy. God has taught me over the years how to put things the right way so that I stand up for what I believe in, but don't drag others down for how they think. There's nothing wrong with the difference of opinion; it just needs to be handled wisely. I thank God that I continue to learn to overcome the peer pressure at church in a way that He would be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment