Friday, February 19, 2010

The End of the Beginning

My first inspiration, Christian author Donita K. Paul, just finished yet another book to add to her list of amazing successes. I can't wait to read it, but more than that, I can't wait to know what she is feeling. Well, I do know what it feels like to finish writing a novel. Relieving, exciting, exhilarating, and a little sad. Sad because it's a story and characters that you must leave behind... at least until the time comes to edit. But I want to know how it feels to finish something that soon will be read by kids, teens, and adults all over America. Someday I'll get that feeling.
Another great thing about writing though: when you finish one book, when the end comes, you know it's just the beginning of a new story for your characters. Maybe you'll write what happens next, maybe you won't. But in the writer's mind, it still happens. Life goes on for your characters, even after you close the book.
Am I sounding eccentric yet? Sorry, not meaning to. But my mind and the words that come from it run away with me down a rather cloudy pathway sometimes. And not cloudy as in foggy; more like Cloud 9, that glorious haven for dreamers.
Now I am ready to conquer the paper, notebooks, and keyboard with my next stories. As usual, I have myriads of novels and novelettes running through my mind, and several have made it onto paper already. Working on one right now in fact. Unfortunately, not one that will carry me forward in life. I have a habit of getting ideas from other stories and movies, then bending and rewriting them to my own standards. I don't think I could ever get away with publishing something like that though, so I am writing it purely for my own enjoyment. And for the one person who will read it. Lucky or unlucky? Only she could answer that.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it feels great to finish a book. It also feels wonderful to hold it in your hand when it arrives from the publisher and to see it in a bookstore. But the best is when someone emails me and says the love the characters, or they are more aware of God because of something in the book. Writing is fantastic. but the people you meet are even more fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet that is amazing. I can't wait to be able to share my stories with more people and I dream about someday influencing some teenage girl just like you did for me. Being able to share what God has taught me in my life through fictional stories is such a joy. Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete